Friday 30 November 2012

POLIO in NOVEMBER.

The poet, T.S.Eliot, wrote; 'April is the cruelest month....' For me the cruelest month is NOVEMBER because it was the month that I was struck down by POLIO. Many years ago in a small village in Western Kenya,at two and a half years old, I got very ill. The villagers who did not have any knowledge on disability believed I was cursed and they threatened to kill me. My parents were forced  to flee and that's how we ended up living in Nairobi. It is also where we finally learned that I had POLIO.

Disability does not come with a manual .... One just has to get on with life.Also, it is not the disability that defines you, it is how you deal with the challenges the disability presents you with.I don't see myself as disabled,rather I am DIFFERENTLY ABLE !!! I am so grateful to my parents,my late mama Ruth and my papa George,who is my hero,for always being there for me.My brothers and sisters,and friends in general -Thank you !!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home